The Progress of Insight (PoI) Map
For an extended analysis of the map (stages) of the progress of insight, please read Chapter 6 from the Manual of Insight.
Alternatively you can read a shorter text by Mahasi Sayadaw, available on our website:
Download The map
This map is just a simplified version (created by MVMR) of Steve Armstrong’s work included in the “Abhidhamma Reference Tables” found on the appendix of the Manual of Insight:
Visuddhimagga - The Path of Purification
Mahasi Sayadaw based his analysis of the PoI stages on Visuddhimagga, a Theravada Buddhist doctrine, written by Buddhagosha approximately in the 5th Century.
You can download Visuddhimagga in various e-book formats, using the following link:
Steve Armstrong’s series of talks regarding “The progress of insight”
In July of 2016, Steve Armstrong gave a series of talks in West Coast Dharma Society, regarding the PoI as presented in Mahasi Sayadaw’s “Manual of Insight”. Below you will find the direct download links from Dharma Seed:
- Map of the Journey: The Progress of Insight#1: Overview of the Progress of Insight
- Map of the Journey: The Progress of Insight #2: Introduction to Mahasi Sayadaw’s Manual of Insight
- Map of the Journey: The Progress of Insight #3: Purification of Conduct, Mind, View, Doubt
- Map of the Journey: The Progress of Insight #4: Spiritual Goodies: Ecstasy, Bliss and Beyond
- Map of the Journey: The Progress of Insight #5: Refining the Knowledge of Dukkha
- Map of the Journey: The Progress of Insight #6: Enlightenment, Completing the Journey
Steve Armstrong’s “The Map of the Journey” lecture
In July 21th of 2016, Steve Armstrong gave a lecture in Seattle Insight Meditation Center, regarding the PoI as presented in Mahasi Sayadaw’s “Manual of Insight”. Below you will find a link to the video:
Modern interpretations of the map
The Pragmatic Dharma community is heavily influenced by both Mahasi Sayadaw’s noting technique and his analysis on the stages of PoI. Below you will find some alternative interpretations of the PoI map by three famous pragmatic dharma teachers:
A combination of the texts by Kenneth Folk and Ron Crouch can be downloaded in various e-book formats using the following link:
Videos by Daniel Ingram
Daniel Ingram has published various videos on Vimeo regarding the PoI stages:
- Ñana Graph Video
- Ñana and Jhana Mind Map Explained
- The Arising and Passing Away, A Short Rant
- Diagnosing Stream Entry
Although the Pragmatic Dharma Movement is heavily influenced by Mahasi Sayadaw’s work, Daniel Ingram, Kenneth Folk and Ron Crouch are not (at least publicly) authorized teachers in Mahasi Sayadaw’s lineage.
It is true that the Pragmatic Dharma Teachers suggest a new and for some a controversial approach on the Buddha’s teachings. People interested in the Mahasi Vipassana and the stages of the PoI are encouraged to study this material and come to their own conclusions.